This is a Micro-Frets Stage II electric guitar from approximately 1973. The finish is cherry (a stunning translucent red.) It's a "Style 3" era from Micro-frets. This Stage II is an incredibly beautiful guitar and the details are sweet; check out the two-tiered pick guard with a transparent top layer and groovy logo! Plus, the Micronut and Microsonic bridge are an amazing tuning system capable of extremely fine intonation adjustments.Description from VintageSilvertones.com
This Micro-Frets Stage II is meticulously clean and is very good++ condition. It has a few minor nicks but otherwise it's spotless. The 22 fret neck is straight and all the electronics work properly. The pickups are very strong, loud, and in excellent working condition. The bridge has a very full and rich sound. The neck pickup is bright with a nice twang. There's a toggle switch to select between the bridge, neck or both pickups. There's also another toggle switch that appears to be an out-of-phase control. The tonal range is extremely broad from surf rock, jazz, rock and a whole lot more. This completely original MicroFrets Stage II includes the original hard shell case. It is definitely a Micro-Frets case but does not have the logo on the outside. The case is 43" x 16" x 5". The only minus is the orignal tremolo arm is missing. Otherwise, it is 100% original. This guitar is absolutely a collectors item and players will love it too.
Micro-Frets was a small US-based guitar manufacturer from 1967-1974 located in Maryland. The Micro-Frets Calibra's were made from 1969-1974. The founder, Ralph Jones, was an engineer who decided to optimize and innovate the electric guitars of the time. His designs were extremely influential and showed up in many modern guitars. Micro-Frets made approximately 4000 guitars during their entire existence. The factory was run by musicians and guitar technicians so their designs were constantly evolving. They made virtually all their own hardware including innovative bridge and nut systems along with the first wireless-transmitter built directly into a guitar (Orbiter model in 1968.)Description from VintageSilvertones.com
Depeche Mode's Martin Gore (Spacetone) and Carl Perkins (Signature) both played Micro-Frets guitars so you can get a sense for their range from those players. You can find more information on the Micro-Frets guitars here and here
The Dimensions are:
Overall length: 42"
Body width: 14 1/2"Description from VintageSilvertones.com
Body thickness: 1 5/8" with neck 2 1/4"
Scale: 24"Description from VintageSilvertones.com
Width of the nut: 1 9/16" (depth 1/2")
String height at 12th fret: 1/16" (approximately)
Here's the full specifications:
Micro-Frets Stage II
Serial number 35xx (the last two digits removed for security purposes)
* Nonsymmetrical cutawayDescription from VintageSilvertones.com
* 2 special Micro-Frets lead and rhythm pickups. The pickups are made out of white Plexiglass. They're designed and made by Micro-Frets.
* Micro-nut (see description from original literature below)
- "The Micro-Nut can be adjusted to provide for perfect tune when using in conjunction with a proper bridge correcting device, such as the "Calibrato", another patented accessory by the Micro-Frets Corporation. The Micro-Nut will adjust each individual string to the desired height and the string guide adjusts the distance between the strings to be wider or narrow as you prefer."
* Microsonic Bridge with Sustained Harmonic Action and Floating Power - This bridge keeps the strings in true tune at all pitch levels. It eliminates the usual discord and de-tuning which results when older devices are used and which keeps only the one string in tune.
* Thin concert sizeDescription from VintageSilvertones.com
* Elliptical neck profiles for a more ergonomic and comfortable feel
* Locking bridge saddlesDescription from VintageSilvertones.com
* 6 way adjustable MICRO-NUT for Precision tuning
* Solid, chambered body made from select Tone hardwood/Rosewood fingerboard
* Spectacular TrebleDescription from VintageSilvertones.com
* Adjustable (special alloy) neck rod with Teflon bearings
The original sale price was $359.
Micro-Frets Stage II
Item #: mic-0003